Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog Post 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
     Dr. McCleod is the Associate Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at Iowa State University. Dr. Mcleod, along with Dr. Joan Hughes established a national technology program, C.A.S.T.L.E. which makes sure that the education system is fulfilling technological requirements in the schools.
     In his post, he expresses a sarcastic approach to technology proving that despite the parents who try to shelter their children, they will still be exposed. I think it is more important for parents to teach their children how to use technology, especially the internet, safely instead of trying to keep them away from it completely. Whether they like it or not, technology is a major part of society today.

The iScool Initiative
     In his video, Travis Allen explains his idea of an “iSchool” in an effort to save the broken public education system. Some of the applications he mentions in which would be very beneficial are Email, Chemical Touch, U.S. Constitution, WorldWiki, U.S.A. Presidents, Star Walk, Formulae, Recorder, Scientific Calculator, Notes, Calendar, Classics, and iHomework. He proves that the savings made just by simply having this as a resource are unbelievable. Teachers, parents, and students would have access to school related things at all times. The iSchool would also have a positive impact on the environment which is definitely a priority.
     After watching this video, Travis really made me consider his idea. He obviously spent a lot of time planning it out and researching how much would really be saved by establishing an iSchool. His statistics about how expensive it is to buy calculators, books, agendas, paper, and backpacks among other things are so convincing that it makes me wonder why this system hasn’t already been established.

Watch the Lost Generation
     In this video, the very first two quotes caught my attention right off the bat… “happiness comes from within is a lie” and “money will make me happy”. So automatically I knew that this would be either a sarcastic video or a negative one. After hearing the speaker read the entire speech, I was kind of disappointed, maybe because I am afraid that for some people that’s how life is and may become. Although there are many statistics that prove it to be true, I personally hate to face that. As the speaker repeated the video “backwards” I was relieved because that is how I like to look at life and hope that it will actually turn out like that. I think that it was a really creative way to express what is or could be the reality of like…the video backwards or forward.

Eric Whitaker’s Virtual Choir
     Watching this video and knowing that there were 185 different people from 12 different countries absolutely amazed me! It is so incredible that technology has gotten to the point that something as unique as this could be created. I think that it is also impressive that Eric Whitaker could even think to do this let alone make it happen. It just goes to show that because of technology people from any and everywhere can be united. In this case they created an unbelievable thing that I never would have expected was possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie!
    I agree with your response to Dr. Mcleod's blog post. I think children should learn about technology at a young age only because it is in the future. I learned about technology at a young age and I am glad because it is so much easier for me to learn about the new things happeneing in the world of technology.
    I think we had a different approach to the iSchool idea. I do believe public school systems need help, but not all students could learn this way. I know personally I like writing my notes rather than typing them and writing my assignments. I think it's a great idea for some students and I appreciate Travis taking time to make this presentation.
    I totally agree with your thoughts about the Lost Generation video. I think if we don't argue or try to prove people wrong about our future it will be exactly how they say. I liked how she could argue just by reading her thoughts backwards and it all made sense.
    As for the last video, about the virtual music, I had a little different thought than you. I didn't like how the technology was used here. I feel like if I want to see a band I would much rather watch them Live in concert rather than on a computer screen or tv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    You are right that children should be exposed to the internet and technology. Technology is at the center of our world, and it is extremely important to be able to know how to use it properly. Technology can definitely benefit all students. I do think, however, that with younger children there should be a security system established to monitor what they can view.

    I also think that the iSchool is a good idea, but you did not mention any setbacks. Do you think there is anything that could go wrong with this initiative? I personally could use an iTouch for school; however, I would not want to solely rely on it. I like writing on paper and actually reading a paper book.

    I also loved the Lost Generation video. I think the producer did an excellent and creative job capturing our generation. She definitely made me think about life and my priorities.

    ReplyDelete