Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blog Post 5

Eagle Nest Radio & Class Blog
     The first podcast I listened to was "Take a BITE Out of Shark Facts!". As soon as I heard the first little girl speak I knew I would LOVE it. One thing that might could have been changed was to lower the music level when the children were speaking. Although I could understand them, it was a little more difficult that it should have been.
I like that they recommended a book to read not only about sharks but other animals too. I had no idea that so many sharks were killed each year, and I'm not so sure that I would want to try Shark Fin soup. It's unbelievable that the fins are over $100 dollars each, which I'm sure causes the soup to be very expensive. Personally, I am not a very big shark fan, so the part of the podcast that was “anti-shark killing” wasn’t my favorite, although I would support most other animals! J
A very interesting segment was the one listing different shark facts. For example, sharks lived over 400 million years ago. It’s hard to even imagine their existence was even before dinosaurs. This podcast was very cute and I enjoyed listening to the kids. I think an important thing needed from these children in our own podcast would be the energy level and excitement. That is always very important to catch the attention of your audience.


The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
            This podcast explains the benefits of using podcasts in classrooms. Some examples were that it provides for a link for students to do work outside of the classroom and not just use pen and paper. I agree that podcasting is useful because it can be viewed anytime and anywhere. Although the beginning of the podcast was unique and attention grabbing with the sleeping baby, I thought it lasted too long.
            I too agree that technology is growing and today’s generation is some of the first to realize that it is going to affect every area of our lives. As a student, I know that I use technology so much every single day. It is hard to imagine how I could ever get by without it these days. I think that this video showed that podcasts allow room for much creativity and I think that is what needs to be remembered in our own podcasts. Not only do they allow creativity to be expressed, but in the classroom they will be very useful when it comes to students being absent. When a child is absent they can be helped because a podcast would allow them to not fall behind.
            This was a helpful podcast because it explained in detail the benefits of podcasts. It also represented specific instances that podcasts are used and I think that really proves the point of how helpful they are.


Judy Scharf Podcast Collection
            This was a very interesting informational cite. It began first by explaining what a podcast actually is which is important because it is a fairly new piece of technology and not everyone may know what it is. It also explains that podcasts are very helpful for teachers and I believe I will most certainly find this to be true when I begin teaching. I am glad that I am learning now how to create podcast and also fortunate enough to view many other podcasts from other students, classes, and teachers.
             Some things that I think are useful in my own podcast are allowing enough time. I must know that things are probably going to take longer than I think that they will or even should. I also loved her papers/instruction sheets she made to give her student with the assignments, there were some very unique, interesting, and captivating assignments that I think children will enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie,
    I also loved the Eagle Nest Radio and class blog. I actually watched the volcano podcast, which were adorable. They did such a great job on them. I believe that if students learn about technology when they are young, it will not be so difficult when they get older to adapt to it.
    I also chose the Benefits of Podcasting to watch. I found it very helpful and learned a lot about podcasts. The video was lengthy, but had a multitude of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    You bring up a great point ... I thought it lasted too long ... about podcasts. There are a number of good things but there are also some bad things about podcasts. Can you tell us any other negatives that you found?

    ReplyDelete