Thursday, October 7, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

HOW KIDS TEACH THEMSELVES

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves? I believe that teaching yourself is very important in the learning process, whether you have a teacher or not. It is important to find a way to be motivated to learn because reality is, you will not always be spoon-fed information.

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves? I believe that anyone can teach themselves. I’m not saying there shouldn’t or doesn’t need to be teachers too, but in my opinion, learning is not only knowing what someone teaches or tells you, sometimes you have to discover things on your own.

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself? Determination, concentration, and focus. It is important to know what you want or need to learn. Next you must have concentration and focus to be able to fulfill the learning experience .

4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process? Computers and internet access are very important. You can find practically anything online and computers can be used to do many things. There are many connections available through the computer and internet as well.

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn? Motivation is essential in anything in life. If you don’t want to learn something or don’t want to do something, then you probably won’t do it and if you do, you probably won’t be very successful at it.

6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process? All of these are things needed in order to know what you want to learn. For example, problems require solutions, and in order to find this solution you must first LEARN how to solve it and this requires motivation. Questions require answers and in order to find answers you must go through a learning process in order to understand the possible answers to the question and determine the correct answer.

7. How do you motivate someone to learn? It is hard to motivate someone to learn. I believe that much learning comes from within and through self-motivation. But as a teacher some ways I can motivate my students would be to provide rewards. Whether these rewards be bonus points, free time, or some type of “prize”, most of these are things children would enjoy having. Another way of motivation as shown in the video is the "grandmother method", which is simply encouragement.

8. How are you motivated to learn? Personally I am motivated because I want to graduate and get a teaching job. I know that those jobs are hard to come by, therefore I know my competition is high so that motivates me even more.

9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn? To an extent people who aren’t motivated can learn to learn. I believe they must first find some type of motivation though. If not, I don’t believe that the person will be a very successful learner.

10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why? There are definitely times that I must teach myself. When I am at home doing homework or a project for a class and I don’t know how to do something, I have no choice than to motivate myself to learn how to do it. Most likely I would use the internet to search on what direction I may need to go.

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning? Teachers provide information that I can learn. It is my choice to decide whether or not I want to learn it.

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video? I believe that these children are special because they want to learn. I don’t believe that teachers should be replaced by machines though. I think it is funny that the children would google their homework. I admit that I am guilty of doing this too, but I also think that it has actually TAUGHT me material and that I didn’t just use the information and forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment