Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog Post 9

“What I’ve Learned This Year”

The opening picture/quote helped me to know I would like this post. Staying positive is something I constantly must remind myself to do. Things aren’t always going to go your way, but if you stay positive, they eventually will work out for the best. The opening paragraph made me realize that not only would I like this post, but it would be very useful in my future as an elementary school teacher.
Mr. McClung writes this post following his first year of teaching. It describes the things he has learned after his first year of teaching.
First of all he expresses the need to put students first. Personally, I don’t believe that I am at all focused on myself. I realize that my main concern is my students, and that is one thing that makes me want to become a teacher. I have had teachers who have obviously not been in the field in the best interests of their students and it does nothing but hinder their learning experience. I believe that I can be the one to set a positive learning atmosphere that is focused on them.
Next is the need to be flexible. Things may not always go the way you have planned, but you can’t sulk over it. You have to realize that mistakes are going to happen but you can’t beat yourself up over it, some things simply can’t be controlled. When things don’t go the way you planned, make the best of the situation with a smile.
Another thing he tells us is the importance of communication. Communication is a difficult skill to develop but it is essential to communicate, especially with other teachers.
Another important thing to know is to set realistic goals. High expectations are reached sometimes, but then again, sometimes they aren’t and that leads to unnecessary disappointment.  “Our job as teachers is to simply pick them up after they fail, dust them off, and encourage them to try again.” This is very important for us to remember as well because no one is going to succeed every time.
Technology is essential. Technology is something that is a great asset to teaching and learning. It is important to know how to use it and use it in the classroom. Technology is out present and our future. It is rapidly growing every day and students definitely need to become very familiar with it.
It is also important to listen to your students. A child’s mind is amazing. You can learn so much from them about life as well as them as people. As a teacher you must know your students in order to meet their needs as a learner. Not only that, but you may truly be the only person they have to listen to them. His last point goes along with listening-NEVER stop learning. There is so much to know in life that it’s never too late to learn it.
I truly enjoyed reading this post because it was very interesting and related to what is in my near future. I know not every day is going to be perfect, but at least I know that it’s not really supposed to be!

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed your post.I must agree with you that in life we have our ups and downs but when you have a positive out view on the outcomes things seem so much better.I love that you have a positive attitude with life thats awesome.Mr.Clung gave some helpful points I would say so myself.I will take these as lessons when teaching in the future as well.Children are teacher as well they are brilliant and we must take the time to listen to them.Also we have to make sure they have all the help needed.We have to let them be the driver sometime just to make sure they have gotten the concept.You did a great job with the post I look forward to more to come.Best wish and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just mistakes that can disrupt a plan. Opportunities arise often and we need to take advantage of them and not be stuck in a rut!

    Did you get an assignment this week to comment on Mr. McClung's blog? If not, check it out anyway! Mr. McClung's World

    ReplyDelete